Sunday, 26 February 2017

Deep in the wood...


I returned to this squiggly design again today - partly because inspiration was fairly thin on the ground but also because Time was in short measure. (I need (and am planning!) another few consecutive days at UCLAN)

Nevertheless, I learnt a lot from this small section of work. I definitely need some kind of support to build this on, if I decide to take it further. The format of the piece is very sectional and comes apart with the greatest of ease during handling. I should have taken more photos before I accidently destroyed it :-) but this is the only one I took...






Whilst I was waiting for this to dry, I decided to look at some microscope images on the web on my phone, for a little inspiration. In doing so, I came across a page by Sherwin Carlquist (an American botanist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherwin_Carlquist) which talked about the structure of woody plants and this image jumped out at me...




Strange how things can coincide...


Wood is very interesting at a cellular level - as are many things of course -  but I'd forgotten how much variation there is between species. I've looked at microscope images on the web a good few times over the years - there are so many amazing patterns to be found in  these small worlds. It never ceases to impress me that such images are so accessible now. The quality of the photos is often so good too (though not the one above, which is quite old). Little more than a decade ago, you'd have to trawl through a lot of biology books in the library to see even a fraction of what's freely available on the web. 

No comments:

Post a Comment